A study published this month in a prestigious journal Intelligence Shown:
- Combined with Cognitive Training Exercise Increases Fluid Intelligence (Visual Special Reasoning) – a key measure of IQ.
- Fitness training alone does not increase fluid intelligence performance.
- There is a difference between the benefits of fluid intelligence from mindfulness training.
The research team concluded:
“Because fluid intelligence test scores predict real-world outcomes over a lifetime, enhancing intelligence through multi-model interventions that are effective even in young, healthy adults is a promising way to improve reasoning and decision-making in everyday life.”
The last row: By far the most powerful phenomenon is that working memory and executive control training (as applied to HighIQPro) combine with exercise – resulting in an increase in IQ with the size of an effect that indicates a practical effect in daily life.
In contrast to studies that show zero results from brain training, this training method – such as IQ Mindware Apps – uses a multi-modal approach – combining dual n-back (working memory) training with executive control training to facilitate the neuroplasticity of the exercise.
The study was conducted by a strong team of researchers across multiple disciplines (Psychology, Neuroscience, Bioengineering, Mechanical and Industrial Engineering), using the most rigorous methods available.
The study was a comprehensive 4-month randomized controlled trial in which 424 healthy adults (ages 18-43, 50% Caucasian) were divided into four groups:
(1) Fitness training
(2) Fitness training and computer-based cognitive training
(3) Fitness, cognitive training, and mindfulness meditation
(4) Active control
Physical infrastructure training
- Warm-up (10 minutes)
- Speed break and static walking or running recovery (10 minutes)
- High-intensity cardio-resistance / aerobic training (30 minutes)
- Yoga / Stretching (10 minutes)
Computer based training
- 2 working memory games (with dual n-back)
- 3 executive control games (such as attention flexibility and strategic planning)
- 1 Visual Special Reasoning Game
HighIQPro applies these three types of training (dual n-back, executive input and output gating, and fluid logic problem).
- Breathing Exercises (5 minutes)
- Guided meditation (5 minutes)
- Mild Movement / Stretching (15 minutes)
- Two periods of silent meditation (15 minutes each)
- Change identification
- Visual search work
- LSAT – The standard achievement test used to determine law school admissions and to evaluate logical reasoning by design. It is a measure of oral fluid intelligence.
- Figure Series – Create a rule for completing many statistics. It is a measure of visceral fluid reasoning.
These are the standard IQ (liquid reasoning) tests used by professional psychologists and educators.
The results of the training are shown in the figure below. Where there is an asterisk there is a statistically significant change in fluid intelligence. The Fit Group those who only do fitness training. The Fit-MF Groups who have done fitness and cognitive training. The Fit-mf-mind The group has trained in fitness, cognitive training and mindfulness.
All groups have made improvements in Visuvascular Fluid Intelligence (Figure Series). All the brain training groups did better than the control group, but one team – which is doing both cognitive training and fitness training – did Significantly Better than the control group. ‘Significance’ is a strict statistical criterion that assures us that the gains were not due to testing. Practice effects Or Placebo effect Related to expectations about training benefits or extra confidence.
The ‘effect size’ is really enough. Dual N-back training only gives an effect size of 0.14 (ref) when combined with executive control training (like HiQuPro) and exercise. 0.55 Which is defined as the size of a ‘big’ effect – far greater than the efficacy of most drugs available on the market for a variety of medical conditions.
Why didn’t adding mindfulness to the mix help gain IQ?
The author argues that individual benefits from mindfulness are divided: some benefits and they show significant IQ growth compared to the control group, others do not.
“In the Fit-MF-Mind group, individuals differed in their responsiveness to the intervention, and those who showed comparatively higher gains in the Figure series also performed better in the post-intervention GF fancy test. Mindfulness will require cognitive and attentive resources that are also demanded when performing tasks, and it appears that individuals differ in their ability to adapt to these needs and to benefit from practice. “
These results are consistent with previous results and help the studies to understand that there is no IQ gain from working memory training, while obviously the right kind of brain training helps enough. Here’s what we know now.
- Combining Executive Control Brain Training (Dual N-Back) training with working memory is more effective in raising IQ alone.
- Visual special intelligence Benefit from training is when verbal reasoning does not.
- Combining Training the brain with exercise improves IQ gain.
A great result for those of us who have spent time developing brain training interventions to increase IQ.
Examples of the type liquid logic test items found in the Visual Special IQ test.